Saturday, September 11, 2010

NYC-Ground Zero

I can remember, as others can, exactly where I was and what I was doing when I first heard about the attack. I was 18 and a sophomore at Northern Michigan University. I was woken up just after the first plane hit by my roommate Chris. I watched through groggy eyes as the second plane came in over Manhattan and struck the second tower. We sat glued to the tv all day watching the events unfold.
It's strange the things we remember. I recall vividly the price of gas was $1.89 at the Citgo station down from our dorms. Prompted by reports of price gouging; I used my last twenty dollars to fill up my truck. Gas prices never went up in Marquette that week, only in the cities south of town was gouging actually taking place. Almost 10 years to the day I visited the site with my girlfriend. I'm not sure how many times I've visited Ground Zero since September 11, 2001, but this is the first time that I've seen actual progress being made on the new building, the new structure has risen out of the massive hole. I wish I could say the same for our country.
"Ironworkers Local 40 Buy American"

The past few weeks the headlines have been saturated with news of planned Koran burnings and Anti-Mosque Erecting movements. I can't help but notice that these headlines give me the same sick and empty feeling that the headlines did on September 12, 2001. Remember those?
September 12, 2001
September 3, 2010

No comments: